Monday, April 23, 2012

a little project




For a long time a have wanted to make my own chalkboard and then hang it on the plain white door in our kitchen that houses our air conditioning unit. I finally forced myself to take the time to do it. The two little girls and I went over to the Goodwill to look for a half way decent frame and fortunately we found one just the right size with a painted canvas in it. I took it home and let Landon help me take off the back wire hanger and reposition it so the frame would hang vertically on the door. Then we painted the frame-it was a bronze metal and went to Walmart to get some chalkboard paint! We went outside, painted the canvas once, and let it dry. The only bad part was finding little bugs that met their death by landing on it during the drying process. I cleaned it off with a dry brush and then painted again! I let it dry inside overnight and touched up a bit on the frame again. Then when Rob got home I allowed him the honors of hanging it-really I was just chicken to do the job myself. I don't like the idea of repairing doors. I think it turned out just the way I had envisioned it and I did it all for $10. Not to shabby!

No comments: